Mint Chocolate Cookies
Big Heart Tea Co. is thrilled to feature Glitter Cat Barista Founder T. Ben on our recipes list! T. Ben's delicious, wintry mint chocolate chip cookie recipe (with a gluten-free option!) has a Big Heart twist, with Royal Treatmint bringing the mint.
I’ve been working in the coffee industry since 2012, and most recently have been working on growing a non-profit, I started in 2018, Glitter Cat Barista.
Glitter Cat’s mission is to reimagine the coffee industry through inspiring marginalized folx to #TakeUpSpace in coffee competitions, create our own spaces through our own projects, and challenge the status quo of hospitality and professionalism. We’re here to add glitter to everything.
My goal for 2021 is to find ways to make Glitter Cat more financially sustainable so I can focus on growing it’s programs full-time and reach more coffee folx, and hopefully go international!
Inspiration for this recipe:
If I could give winter one flavor, it will always be something minty. Growing up, my favorite candies were peppermint patties. My mom kept a hidden stash on the top shelf of her closet. I was a tall kid, so I was able to sneak them here and there, and thought she didn’t notice. She did, but then we got to enjoy them together.
I created these cookies to remind me of those days, growing up in northern Wisconsin when it was too cold to go outside, and so instead I got to learn how to bake with my mom. A regal chocolate cookie supported by the freshness of the Royal Treamint tea.
- Almond flour adds a chewiness to the cookie, but is not necessary! If unavailable, use 2 1/4 cup flour. It is delicious both ways!
- This recipe works very well as a gluten-free cookie, which can be an excellent addition for holiday spreads. The gluten-free flour blend Cup4Cup substitutes exactly for the flour in this recipe.
- As an extra minty alternative, add in peppermint extract!
Makes 36 cookies
- ¼ cup 195 degree water
- 2 Royal Treamint sachets
- ¾ cup softened butter
- ½ cup softened cream cheese
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour **
- 2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
Prepare in 15 minutes, ready in 60 minutes!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Steep Royal Treatmint for 3 minutes be sure to squeeze excess water from sachets, use the brewed concentrate for the cookies.
- Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugars until smooth and light in color
- Mix in tea concentrate, eggs, & vanilla be sure to mix well after these additions
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cocoa, flours, baking soda, & salt
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, being sure to mix well after each addition
- By hand, stir in chocolate chips
- Drop by large tablespoonfuls onto un-greased baking sheet
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-13 minutes, the center should be soft and the edges lightly browned
- Cool for 3 minutes on baking sheet before removing to finish cooling on a wire rack