The pumpkin spice latte is a classic must-have recipe for fall.
But we wanted a PSL recipe with plenty of flavor, organic tea, and organic spices.
We've also been looking for that Starbucks-style pumpkin cream cold brew, but we wanted something naturally alkaline, anti-inflammatory, less sweet, and caffeine-free, of course.
You've probably seen recipes for fall drinks like these - but still on the search for some you can easily make at home?
Oodie's Pumpkin Spice Latte
My name is Bud (@juicycaturra on Twitter and Instagram). I have worked in specialty coffee since 2014, primarily as a barista, until COVID-19. Now I am the president of Austin Coffee Collective and the project manager for Glitter Cat’s Business Accountability Project.
I am a HUGE pumpkin spice fan - once Starbucks rolls it out every year, I go at least once a week to get my fix. I wanted to make a syrup that tasted really good and high-quality that could go in Chai, Fake Coffee, or even a homemade latte (you could even get wild and add this to vanilla ice cream!).
I present, the Pumpkin Chai-ce Latte! I was so excited to work with Big Heart Tea’s Chai blend because it’s non-caffeinated and VERY spicy. It’s got a really complex flavor profile that made me wish I could grind it up and put it on everything, so, I kind of did!
the pumpkin chai-ce latte
~ 10 servings
- 2 Chai tea bags
- 1 cup boiling water (~228 grams)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (150 grams)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree (75 grams)
- pinch kosher salt (.5 grams)
First, your Chai syrup
- Steep Chai teabags in 1 cup of boiling water for 15 minutes
- Pull tea bags and press any remaining water out of the bags
- Add steeped tea to pot
- Add ¾ cup light brown sugar to pot
- Add ⅓ cup pumpkin puree to pot
- Add pinch of kosher salt (.5 grams)
- Whisk until pumpkin and sugar are incorporated
- Bring to simmer
- Remove from heat and let cool
Now your Pumpkin Chai-ce Latte!
- Steep 1 bag of Big Heart Chai or Fake Coffee in 6 ounces of water
- Add 1.5oz of Pumpkin Chai-ce Syrup to drinking vessel
- Pour tea on top, leaving room for 2 oz of foam or milk
- Add cold milk or warm frothed milk to drink and you’re all set!
- Garnish with cinnamon
(Tip: you can froth milk at home with an immersion blender OR a French press. Start with hot milk and either blend it until it foams, or put it in a French press and pump the press until you get super frothy milk!)
Spice up your fall:
The Fake Coffee Pumpkin Cold Brew
Makes 1 serving
- 1 teabag Fake Coffee
- 8 oz water
- 1.5 oz Oodie's Pumpkin Chai-ce syrup
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- cinnamon for garnish
- shaker tin, or mason jar with lid
- Cold brew your Fake Coffee by placing 1 teabag in 8 oz water for 6 hours or overnight (for iced Fake Coffee in a flash, steep 1 teabag in 4 oz hot water for 3-5 minutes)
- Add ice to without diluting too much (add more for the hot-brewed version!). You can also make Fake Coffee ice cubes for 0 flavor loss!
- Strain out ice and pour into drinking vessel
- Add 1.5oz Pumpkin Chai-ce Syrup to vessel
- Fill with fresh ice, leaving room for foam on top
- To make cold foam, put whipping cream in a shaker tin or mason jar and dry shake for 10-15 seconds (it won’t whip the cream, just make it frothy!)
- Top your Fake Coffee with foam
- Garnish with a little cinnamon!
your fall cold brew just got like, way better.