Chai Saffron Cookies
I am Tasnim from Toronto, Canada. I am a high school science teacher, a mom to a toddler, and a content creator. I enjoy baking, painting, traveling and sharing things along the way on my blog and Instagram @ibake_memories.
Inspiration for this recipe
Chai has always been a part of my life. Growing up in a culture where it is a part of every evening, it’s more than a drink for me. The smell takes me back to my childhood. When I make tea, I remember the times I would make it for my parents and family, and the way it brought us all together. “Bikaler chaa nasta”, which translates to evening tea and snacks, is common in most Bangladeshi homes.
I had my first cup of saffron chai in Dubai. The flavor and smell of saffron enhances the spices of Big Heart's Chai, and I knew I had to experiment more with it. This cookie recipe brings these flavours together, topped off with pistachios to add the finishing touch.
Makes 2 dozen cookies
- Big Heart Tea Chai - 2 tsp
- Milk - 2 tbsp.
- Saffron - ½ tsp
- All-purpose flour - 2 cups
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Butter (softened) -½ cup
- Granulated sugar - ¾ cup
- Brown sugar - ½ cup
- Egg – 1
- Vanilla extract - ½ tsp
- Pistachios - ½ cup, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Warm the milk and add the saffron and chai. Stir everything together, and set aside to let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter until soft. Add sugar and mix everything until smooth.
- Strain the saffron and chai mixture.
- In a small bowl, add the milk mixture, egg and vanilla. Mix everything.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stirring slowly. Mix until smooth.
- Put the cookie dough in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Shape dough into desired shape and top with crushed pistachios. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Let it cool and enjoy!
Big Heart tip: A cup of Chai or our Rose Milk Tea recipe are perfect accompaniments for this flavor profile!
Spice up your cookies.